Capstone Headwaters has released its Q4 2020 Capital Markets Update, available for free download below.
Capstone expects a significant level of pent-up merger and acquisition (M&A) demand to come to market in the near term. Favorable market dynamics include an increasing availability of capital, historic levels of dry powder, and a surplus of sellers motivated to transact in the current favorable tax environment ahead of potential negative capital gains treatment under the new presidential administration.
Report highlights include:
- While middle market transaction activity declined 16% year-over-year (YOY) in 2020, deal activity showed a strong resurgence in Q4, increasing 39% from the prior quarter.
- The lending environment has normalized to near pre-COVID levels, especially for companies in resilient industries.
- Strategic buyers focused on risk mitigation during the onset of the pandemic but have increasingly pursued acquisitions at year-end.
- Private equity concentrated on supporting portfolio companies to ensure operational stability during the pandemic but have returned to capital deployment, resulting in a 24% increase in private equity closed transactions in the second half of the year.
- Add-on acquisitions accounted for 72.5% of buyouts in 2020 as private equity firms chose to pursue smaller transactions to ensure liquidity amid uncertainty.
- Capstone believes that the strong improvement in deal volume to conclude the year bodes well for a robust M&A market in 2021 with strategic and private equity buyers operating with greater visibility.
To learn more about Capstone’s range of advisory services please contact us.
To download the full report and receive future reports via email please confirm your contact information below: